If this story makes you mad about the VA . . .

If this story makes you mad about the VA . . . contact your Representatives in Congress and the Senate, or the Veteran's Administration and let them know how you feel about the way the VA treats our vets. You can reference my blog or or the stories of many other vet's and their treatment by the VA available on the web.

Friday, January 1, 2010

History and background to the fight.

As a 9th grader, I developed Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE), which went bilateral when I was in the 11th grade. This was corrected and I went on to play football my Senior year.  (NOTE:  pre-existing condition is documented.  It is also documented that the pre-existing condition has been successfully corrected.)

Upon graduating high school, I joined the Army and was sent to New Mexico Military Institute to get an AA degree and be commissioned an Officer in the United States Army. Prior to ROTC Basic Camp at FT Knox, KY (1975), and ROTC Advanced Camp at FT Riley, KS (1976), I went through Orthopedic consults and found to be normal to better than normal in my hips.

During my 2 years at NMMI, I was a member of the Orienteering team, Team Capitan of the Judo and Karate teams, Marching Band, Drum & Bugle Corp., orchestra, and Traffic Detail.  I had no medical problems and continued to be very physical and active.

After graduating New Mexico Military Institute in 1977, I turned down my commission to continue my education at Moorhead State University (now Minnesota State University, Moorhead), while being assigned to North Dakota State University as an assistant instructor of Advanced Military Science.   I also taught Advanced Red Cross First Aid and Emergency Care at MSU, while a student.  During this time, I also became an Emergency Medical Technician, National Registry, through East Grand Forks Area Vocational Technical Institute.

In 1980, I received my BA Degree from MSU in Physical Education and Athletic Injuries.   While at MSU, I was involved in cross country skiing and racing.  This included several races, including the Maplelag Ski race.
I then accpted my commission as a USAR 2LT in the Infantry.  I completed Infantry Officer Basic Course-Mechanized (IOBC) at FT Benning, GA, and was assigned to  Co. B, 3rd BN, 3rd Inf. Regiment "The Old Guard", at FT Snelling, MN.  I was the new Weapons Platoon Leader and commanded 3 81mm mortars and 2 TOW's.

While I was with Co. B, I completed numerous other courses, to include the Infantry Mortar Platoon Officer Course (IMPOC), Air Assault, NBC Officers Course, and Northern Areas of Operations (Winter phase).  I carried numerous other additional duties, to include setting up, commanding, and instructing in the Combined BN Mortars Training Committee.  (I should mention that this assignment was Light Infantry.) I did attend Airborne School for the first time, but had medical drop when my left knee popped.  (Once for the left knee and once for the right knee later on.)  Funny thing is -- I completed and graduated from Air Assault in between the 2 attempts at Airborne.

Then the problems began . . . continued in next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment